Object Type: Folder
In Folder: Special Collections
In 1957, Osgoode Hall Law School gained the power to grant LL.B. degrees, along with four other university law schools in the province. Students studying law at the law school after 1957 were granted an LL.B. degree. Graduates from the Osgoode Hall Law School academic course or from one of the other approved law courses in the province, could apply for admission to the Bar Admission Course at Osgoode Hall. The succession completion of the Bar Admission Course was necessary to be called to the Bar. The first convocation ceremony for the Osgoode Hall Law School academic course took place in the Toronto Armouries on June 23rd, 1960. In 1968, Osgoode Hall Law School moved to York University. Students enrolled in the academic course were given the option to received their LL.B. degree from either the Law Society of Upper Canada or York University. The Law Society of Upper Canada and York University held two joint academic convocation ceremonies for graduates, the first in June 1969 and the second in June 1970.
During the 1970s, increased enrollment in the Bar Admission Course led to the opening of two offices outside of Toronto, in London and Ottawa. Call to the Bar ceremonies were now held in three cities across the province. On April 12th, 1976, the first call to the Bar ceremony to take place outside of Toronto was held at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa.